- Stocks slide as CDC releases new US case numbers
- Italy reports 7th death, 200+ confirmed cases
- WHO says outbreak not yet a ‘pandemic’
- First cases reported in Oman, Bahrain
- WHO kowtows to China in statement
- Wuhan issues order to loosen lockdown, then U-turns
- NHC says outbreak is fading, though situation remains “grim”
- China approves crackdown on wildlife trade after WHO says virus likely came from bats
- Iranian lawmaker says more than 50 deaths in Qom; officials say 12
- Hong Kong bars South Koreans
- more cases reported in SK
* * *
Update (1220ET): US stocks took another leg lower, falling to their lowest levels of the session with the Dow down 1,000 points, following the latest headlines out of the CDC confirming 39 cases of the virus have been detected among the rest of the ~300 individuals from the ‘Diamond Princess’.
The CDC reportedly opposed the State Department’s decision to allow 14 individuals who were confirmed to be infected to travel on the evac flight after their cases were confirmed just before takeoff, thanks to one of the many botched, drop-the-ball moments attributed to Japanese health officials.
This is exactly what they warned about: In addition to the 14 people who were already infected, it appears another 25 were infected on the flight back – where the sick individuals were separated by the rest using duct tape and a thin tarp-like sheet.
That brings total US cases to 53.
Meanwhile, the CD isolated 14 cases outside those who caught the virus aboard the DP.
- U.S. CDC SAYS 14 CONFIRMED CASES OF COVID-19 AS OF FEB. 24, 39 CASES AMONG THOSE REPATRIATED TO U.S.
Six of these cases are believed to be in San Antonio, according to local press reports.
* * *
…click on the above link to read the rest of the article…