The deployment of American military assets to the Middle East continues to ramp up following national security advisor John Bolton’s Sunday night statements warning the US is prepared to send “a clear and unmistakable message to the Iranian regime”.
Citing “possible attack by Iran” against US troops in the region, four B-52 bombers are now on their way to the Middle East as part of Sunday’s announced USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group deployment.
According to details revealed by CBS News:
Two of the bombers are expected to leave Tuesday from Barksdale Air Force Base in Louisiana, arriving at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar on Wednesday, CBS News national security correspondent David Martin reports.
The White House house had previously warned of “a number of troubling and escalatory indications and warnings” from Iran, for which Bolton said the US was prepared to use “unrelenting force”..
“The United States is not seeking war with the Iranian regime, but we are fully prepared to respond to any attack, whether by proxy, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, or regular Iranian forces,” Bolton said previously as part of his Sunday statements.
On Monday Axios published a report by Israeli correspondent Barak Ravid which identified Israel as behind the intelligence warning the White House appears to be basing its information on.
“Israel passed information on an alleged Iranian plot to attack U.S. interests in the Gulf to the U.S. before national security adviser John Bolton threatened Iran with ‘unrelenting force’ last night, senior Israeli officials told me,” Ravid wrote in the Axios report.
…click on the above link to read the rest of the article…