US Says New Travel Restrictions “On The Table” As Singapore, Hong Kong Report Sharp Rise In New Cases
- China says 1,716 medical workers have been infected
- Singapore reports largest daily jump in cases amid increased human-to-human transmission
- Hong Kong reports 3 new cases
- Hubei’s new party boss orders quarantine tightened
- President Xi touts new “biosecurity law”
- Hong Kong Disney land offers space for quarantine
- Chinese company says blood plasma of recovered patients useful in combating the virus
- US mulling new travel restrictions
- Japan reports 4 new cases; one patient recently returned from Hawaii.
- CDC Director: Virus is “Coming” to the US.
* * *
Update (0915ET): Japan has reported 4 new cases of the virus, including one man who recently returned from the US state of Hawaii,and another who helped transfer an infected patient diagnosed aboard “the Diamond Princess”, the cruise ship that has been quarantined in Yokohama for 10 days.
Meanwhile, over in the US, this interview of the director of the CDC warning that the virus could become widespread in the US ‘beyond 2020’.
* * *
Update (0850ET): Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said during an interview on Friday morning that more travel restrictions are “on the table,” suggesting that the US might apply similar restrictions to Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan and other Asian countries that have reported rising numbers of cases.
Earlier this month, the State Department raised its travel alert for China to ‘4’, and the US imposed restrictions on foreigners who have recently traveled to China and re-routing Americans who have been to viral hotspots to certain US airports for screening on arrival. These travel restrictions have infuriated Beijing, and prompted a government spokesperson to accuse the US of spreading hysteria.
Even if the virus does “go away” in April, as President Trump has insisted…
…click on the above link to read the rest of the article…