- Senior CCP official orders Wuhan to round up infected residents for mass quarantine camps
- Beijing completes second coronavirus hospital in Wuhan
- Wuhan hospital confirms that doctor who was one of first to warn about virus died on Thursday
- Economists warn China faces difficult dilemma in deciding when workers should return to work
- Total cases stand at 30,814 as death toll climbs to 635
- Taiwan halts visas for citizens of Macau and Hong Kong
- Germany confirms 13th case
- 2 suspected cases found in South Africa
- Dubai reports 3rd death outside China
* * *
Update (1615ET): A senior Chinese official has ordered Wuhan authorities to immediately round up all residents infected with the novel coronavirus and place them in isolation, quarantine camps, or designated hospitals, according to the New York Times.
City investigators have also been ordered to go to each home and check the temperature of every resident, as well as conduct interviews with infected patients’ close contacts.
“Set up a 24-hour duty system. During these wartime conditions, there must be no deserters, or they will be nailed to the pillar of historical shame forever,” said Sun Chunlan, a vice premier in charge of leading the CCP’s response to the outbreak.
The city’s authorities have raced to meet these instructions by setting up makeshift mass quarantine shelters this week. But concerns are growing about whether the centers, which will house thousands of people in large spaces, will be able to provide even basic care to patients and protect against the risk of further infection. –NYT
* * *
Update (1440ET): Dubai just reported that a woman from the Philippines has died in the UAE. In response, the UAE has suspended flights to China except to Beijing. The Manila Times reported the death, citing the Philippines’ labor secretary.
…click on the above link to read the rest of the article…