The Bureau of Meteorology in the lead up to christmas in 2018 showed a heatwave building through the week. The forecast was for severe and extreme heatwave impacts particularly Thursday 27 December to Saturday 29 December.
A blocking high in the Tasman and strong heat from the Pilbara in Western Australia and right through Central Australia, will periodically extend tendrils of sweltering heat to encompass the major population centres of Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.
Graphing the Tmax trend in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and some regional towns
Heatwave climate diary
- December 22 – Initial Warning
- December 23 – UK Met Office takes note, VicHealth issues heathealth alerts
- December 24 – No report as travelling
- December 25 – Hot christmas for Sydney, Climate scientists says this is the face of climate change
- December 26 – Marble Bar feeling the heat, SBS story on Heat health, South African heatwave, Was it hot on Boxing Day?
- December 27 – Heatwave spans 5 states with 49C forecast, Climate Council heatwave and Heathealth reports, hot in Sydney, bloody hot in Adelaide, 5 years of climate inaction, Melbourne Temps hit 40C, Tennant Creek smashes record, Emus seek heat respite in sea
- December 28 – Catastrophic fire warning in South Australia, Surface temperatures soar, heat records fall in several SA towns, South African heatwave finishes
- December 29 – Slow roasting Australia, Cruel increase in night time temps in Albury, warning about taking fur buddies for a walk, Thongs and roads melting in Sydney while NSW inland records fall, Heat in Canberra, Alice Springs sets all time heat record, historical heat deaths stats, New extreme heat policy by Tennis Australia, AMA on heathealth Safety, climate scientist warning
…click on the above link to read the rest of the article…