Issue no.5, “Research for the End of Your ‘Normal’ Everyday Existence”
Click here for a brief explanation about the ‘WEIRD’ newsletter.
Download this edition
- A4 format PDF – for printing at A4, single- or double-sided, stapled in the top-left corner; or
- A3 brochure format PDF – for printing as an A3 double-sided, folded and stapled brochure, or (with very small text) scaling-down for double-sided A4.
Note: Breaking with our usual ‘no linking’ convention,
this edition of WEIRD, each of the article headings contains a list of the academic studies referenced in it
for you to download & read.
- ☮ ‘Introduction’
- Introducing the science for the end of your ‘normal’ everyday existence.
- ☮ History file: Bill Devall – ‘The Deep Ecology Movement’
- Published in 1980, this tract was the first to outline the split between ‘eco-reformers’ & ‘deep ecologists’.
- Journal of Natural Resources: ‘The Deep Ecology Movement’, Bill Devall, Spring 1980.
- ☮ “It’s the economy, stoooopid!”
- Environmentalism uses tech. as a sticking plaster; research says it’s affluence.
- Nature Communications: ‘Scientists’ Warning On Affluence’, vol. 11 art. 3107, 19th June 2020;
- Oxfam: ‘Extreme Carbon Inequality’, December 2015;
- PNAS: ‘Tracking the Ecological Overshoot of the Human Economy’, vol. 99 no. 14, 2002;
- Journal of Industrial Ecology: ‘Environmental Load from Dutch Private Consumption – How Much Damage Takes Place Abroad?’, vol. 9 no.1/2, 2005.
- ☮ ‘Are humans a virus?’
- In these times of disruptive pandemic, it might be interesting to figure how all other life on Earth looks at us.
- Ecological Economics: ‘Ecological economics for humanity’s plague phase’, vol. 169 art. 106519, March 2020;
- Ecological Economics: ‘Economics for the Future – Beyond the Super-organism’, vol. 169 art. 106520, March 2020;
- Energy Research & Social Science: ‘Energy transitions or additions? Why a transition from fossil fuels requires more than the growth of renewable energy’, vol. 41 pp.40-43, 2019.
- …click on the above link to read the rest of the article…